Two Dalit woman raped in a week in Uttar Pradesh: Latest developments

11 months ago 70
google news Flipboard

TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: Oct 1, 2020, 11:23 IST

Candlelight vigil organised in Lucknow (Credits: ANI)

NEW DELHI: Sexual assault and death of two Dalit women in Uttar Pradesh over last week has again laid bare India's sore nerve pushing the state administration in a corner over the law and order situation. Protests and candlelight vigils were being organised for the Hathras victim across the country when the news of a second case in Balrampur came in on Thursday morning.
Here are the latest developments:

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken suo motu cognisance of the Hathras gangrape case and has sent notices to the chief secretary of the state government and the Director-General of Police (DGP) of Uttar Pradesh. The commission said the responses from the state authorities are expected within four weeks.
The NHRC observed, "It is apparent that the police was not able to take timely action to trace and save the victim...The way the perpetrators have acted shows that they had no fear of law in their mind....Not only this, but there are also allegations made by the family that the "police forcibly took away the body of the deceased for cremation" as have been reported in the media, the statement said.
"The incident has raised many questions about the law and order situation in the state. Many such incidents have occurred in the state of Uttar Pradesh where the members of the Scheduled Community have been subjected to discrimination and harassment by the people belonging to upper castes," said the NHRC in its statement.
Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra will visit Hathras in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday to meet the victim's family who had died after being gang-raped, and whose cremation in the night by the police has provoked nationwide outrage. Party sources said the permission for the visit has been sought from the Uttar Pradesh government.
The Congress on Wednesday protested statewide with Rahul Gandhi dubbing the "forcible cremation" of the Hathras gang-rape victim by the police as a "shameful" move of the Uttar Pradesh government. "It is a shameful move of the state government to oppress the Dalits and show them their place in society," he tweeted in Hindi, tagging a news report on the cremation of the 19-year-old woman.
The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) has written to Chief Justice of India SA Bobde and other judges of the Supreme Court urging them to take cognisance of the gang-rape and murder of a Dalit girl in Uttar Pradesh's Hathras district. The Chief of DCW, Swati Maliwal, has requested the court to call for a High Court-monitored investigation into the case to ensure "strictest and swiftest" possible punishment to the accused.

Hathras gangrape case
A 19-year-old Dalit woman was raped in Hathras by four men on September 14. The young woman had gone to the fields with her mother and went missing soon after. She was found later, beaten and tortured, her tongue cut as she bit it when the accused attempted to strangle her. She was first admitted to Aligarh Muslim University's Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital and then shifted to Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi on Monday where she died on Tuesday. On Wednesday, her body was cremated in the wee hours in her native village amid tight security. The victim's family alleged that the Police and officials rushed the cremation and did not allow them wait for all their relatives to arrive, which sparked further outrage at administration's conduct.
The accused, who had allegedly tried to strangle her to death as she resisted their rape attempt, have been arrested.
Balrampur rape case
A 22-year-old Dalit woman died after being allegedly sexually assaulted by two youth in the Gaisri police station area of Balrampur. Both the accused, Shahid and Sahil, have been arrested. The Gaisri police station was informed by the the kin of the woman that she worked at a private firm and on Tuesday she did not return till late night. Later in the wee hours of Wednesday the girl came on a rickshaw in a bad condition with glucose drip attached to her arms. She was soon rushed to a hospital but died on the way.
Family members alleged sexual assault by two men who have been arrested. Balrampur police said the allegations will be examined by a medical expert.
(With inputs from agencies)

more from times of india news

  1. Homepage
  2. India