The hugely popular short video and social media app TikTok is has been showing off tools that can be employed to ensure that the platform is a safe space for users.
Given that youngsters aged 16-29 are the most frequent users of the internet, according to an report by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), and considering that TikTok is a social platform that has been embraced by Gen Z and younger millennials, the company says it has made a “concerted effort” to ensure that users are equipped with security features to keep the youngsters safe.
Here are 10 tools that TikTok says will enhance your security on the platform.
1. Age Gate – only allows users who are 13 years and above to create an account, this feature prevents underage children from using the platform.
2. Screen Time Management – allows users to limit their time spent on the application to 40, 60, 90, 120 minutes. Any further usage beyond the set limit would require users to re-enter their passwords.
3. Restricted mode – protects minors by using a machine-learning Artificial Intelligence that filters out content that may not be age-appropriate. This account setting is optional and exists so that users can take control of the content they watch and receive. Once selected, this mode can only be reverted by entering a password.
4. In-app suicide prevention – redirects users to an in-app suicide resource page that offers tips and hotlines so that users are able to receive help.
5. Comment filter feature – allows the user to self-define up to 30 keywords from the comments in English and the user’s local language that if featured on a comment will be hidden. This list can be altered at any given point.
6. Family Pairing – The Family Pairing feature, a part of the Digital Wellbeing mode, allows parents to set a limit on their teenager’s screen-time on TikTok, enables the restricted mode and limits direct messages, so that the parent or guardian can be in control of the teenager’s activities on TikTok
7. In-app reporting – With the help of the in-app reporting feature, users can report videos that they believe violate community guidelines. This feature gives users an opportunity to voice their concerns and help keep TikTok safe and positive by flagging inappropriate content. During the spread of the global pandemic, TikTok has further enhanced the in-app reporting feature, to allow users to report any kind of deceptive information under the new ‘Misleading Information’ category.
8. Privacy settings – Users are able to:
Decide who is allowed to follow them
Decide who is allowed to send comments
Decide who is allowed to react to their videos
Decide who is allowed to take part in a duet
Decide who can send them messages
Avoid undesirable content to be downloaded
Create and edit a block list
9. Device Management – Using this feature, TikTok users will be able to end sessions or remove their accounts from other devices from within the TikTok app to better manage the safety of their account. This feature will help avoid the misuse of user accounts.
10. Risk warning tag – is added to notify viewers that a video may not be desirable for general consumption.
Click on Deccan Chronicle Technology and Science for the latest news and reviews. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter.