Quebec is allowing a gradual return to the office for employees who work in private-sector businesses starting Saturday amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Labour Minister Jean Boulet announced the measure on Wednesday, saying employers and workers had shown their resilience and ability to adapt to changing circumstances over the past few months.
Workplaces will be allowed to operate at 25 per cent capacity beginning this weekend after public health authorities gave the green light, according to Boulet.
“I wish to say right off the bat, this is the maximum,” Boulet said, referring to the cap.
READ MORE: Quebec ombudsman backs mandatory masks as petition calls on province to cancel rule
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
Businesses should continue to favour a work-from-home policy when possible, he added.
Story continues below advertisement
“Telework is still strongly recommended for activities that can be carried out at a distance,” said Boulet.
As part of the plan, workers are still required to follow public health guidelines aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. This includes maintaining a two-metre distance from others.
Masks will also be mandatory in all common areas in offices, including kitchens and elevators.
Quebec recorded 129 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday for a total of 56,859 since the health crisis first began.
Authorities say three more deaths were recorded from the previous day. The province’s death toll stands at 5,636.
The number of hospitalizations has dropped by 10 to 285. Of those patients, 20 people are in intensive care.
2:12 Montreal COVID-19 infections triple in the last weekMontreal COVID-19 infections triple in the last week View link »
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.