US defense secretary Mark Esper and secretary of state Mike Pompeo will be in Delhi later this month for India...Read More
NEW DELHI: The third edition of the two-plus-two dialogue between India and the US is expected to take place on October 26 and 27 in New Delhi during which both sides are likely to carry out a comprehensive review of their strategic cooperation, people familiar with the development said on Thursday.
US secretary of state Mike Pompeo and defence secretary Mark Esper are scheduled to visit India for the dialogue, they said. The Indian side will be represented by external affairs minister S Jaishankar and defence minister Rajnath Singh.
The first two-plus-two dialogue was held in Delhi in September 2018 after the mechanism was approved by PM Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump. The second edition took place in Washington in December last year.
In the third edition of talks, both sides are expected to delve into the situation in the Indo-Pacific as well as in India’s neighbourhood, besides key bilateral issues. As the dialogue is taking place days ahead of the presidential polls in the US, no major outcome is expected, said a source.