BENGALURU: After stopping
for students from LKG to fifth grade, the
government is now contemplating extending the ban till Class 7.
At a cabinet meeting on Thursday, primary and secondary education minister
S Suresh Kumar
said some ministers, including medical education minister K
, had suggested that the ban be extended till Class 7. Kumar said such a decision, however, couldn't be taken unilaterally and so the matter had been referred to a committee tasked with submitting recommendations on the pros and cons of online education.
Sources said Kumar informed chief minister
that the government’s decision to bar online lessons till Class 5 had been well received by students, parents and scholars. "Kumar told the CM that Bharat Ratna CNR Rao called him personally to appreciate the decision," said a minister who was privy to the conversation.
But law and parliamentary affairs minister JC Madhuswamy, who briefs reporters on cabinet decisions, triggered confusion by announcing that the government had already decided to extend the online education ban till Class 7 following suggestions from experts and parents. "Students in rural areas are also facing connectivity and infrastructure issues. Therefore, we have decided to extend the ban," the minister said, only to retract his statement later.
Karnataka has automatically promoted students till ninth grade without holding exams. SSLC exams will be held from June 25.