NEW DELHI: Following the
this week on the LAC stand-off, the government on Thursday reiterated that the two sides are now working to schedule the next (7th) round of the senior commanders’ meeting. The meeting is important for India and China to work towards early and complete disengagement of troops along the LAC, as the government said, in accordance with the existing bilateral agreement and protocols, and fully restore peace and tranquility.
The 19th Meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation & Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) was held on Wednesday. While the government sees the talks as useful in ensuring that there’s no fresh flare-up in the problem areas like Pangong Tso and Depsang, efforts for complete disengagement have seen little success.
“The two sides reviewed the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC). They had detailed discussions in this regard, including on the developments since the last meeting of the WMCC on 20 August,” said
“The two sides also reviewed the outcome of the 6th senior commanders’ meeting on 21 September. As I had noted last week that meeting had resulted in a joint press release and two sides had agreed on some steps to ensure stability on the ground even as they work towards complete disengagement in all friction areas,” he added, while recalling the Indian statement issued earlier on the WMCC talks.
While acknowledging the importance of the meetings between the two defence ministers and foreign ministers in
, they had also noted in the WMCC meeting that the agreement between the two foreign ministers needed to be sincerely implemented.