Geelani family distances itself from strike call

6 months ago 34
google news

SRINAGAR: The newly nominated Pakistan-based

Hurriyat faction

led by Abdullah Geelani received its first rebuff from 91-year-old Syed Ali Geelani’s family here for "attributing the announcement of a strike call" for two days — July 8 and 13 — to their father,

Syed Ali Geelani

.
The Jammu & Kashmir police, meanwhile, warned social network users to desist from sharing the press release on social media platforms as it would be perceived as instigation of violence leading to creating a law and order problem. The police said members of the ailing Syed Ali Geelani’s family had distanced themselves from the press statement released in his name.
The reference number on the press release is quoted as "S. No.1" dated "6.7.2020" on a letterhead attributed to Syed Ali Geelani that bears his Srinagar home address and fixed telephone number.
The announcement, which appears to have come from across the border, calls for a two-day strike across the Kashmir valley to mark the killing of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani, slain in an encounter along with two accomplices on July 8, 2016 at Bemdoora, in Kokernag, Anantnag district. The July 13 strike call, the statement read, was to observe the date as "martyrs’ day" to mark the killing of 22 people killed in 1931 when J&K was a princely state.
The press release refers to Syed Ali Geelani as "Quaid", and not as Hurriyat leader. The press release said, "The Quaid said that while we are on the path of liberation struggle for many decades, India’s August 5, 2019 decision of annexation and officially starting demographic changes by issuing domicile rights to Indian nationals, creating settler colonies and allotting large swathes of land to Indian forces has thrown a new challenges for us (sic)."
The police filed a case on Tuesday under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and for public mischief under the IPC over the statement calling for strikes. Police said the letter was fake and not issued by the nonagenarian who had resigned as

Hurriyat Conference

chairman last week.
“As per family sources of SAS Geelani the letter is fake and not issued by him. This is published from Pakistan," the police said in a tweet. "Police is taking action against those who are circulating it through different social media platforms to instigate violence and create L&O (law and order) problems," it said.
Later in the day, police announced that a case (FIR No 265/2020) under sections of the UAPA Act and IPC had been registered at Budgam police station. "Further investigation is in progress," the police added.

  1. Homepage
  2. India