By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted October 8, 2020 10:59 am
1:21 Coronavirus: Ontario Premier Ford praises province’s efforts to keep schools open as cases riseWATCH ABOVE: Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Monday thanked health and education officials in the province who are working to keep schools as safe as possible in the province as COVID-19 cases rise in the second wave. Ford added the $1.3 billion plan his government put in place for schools to reopen “has been working.”
A school board north of Toronto is scrapping its virtual elementary school program in favour of a hybrid model that will combine in-class and remote learning.
In a letter to parents Wednesday, the York Catholic District School Board says in-person students and their remote-learning peers will be taught lessons together beginning next week.
Previously, all remote learners were taught separately.
Interim director Mary Battista says remote students will now be taught virtually from their home schools, which will allow them to learn alongside their friends.
3:02 Ontario government revises school, child care centre screening guidelinesOntario government revises school, child care centre screening guidelines
Battista says it will also allow for a more seamless transition from in-class learning to remote learning throughout the school year.
Story continues below advertisement
She says the change is being made due to various operational and staffing challenges in the current remote-learning model.View link »
© 2020 The Canadian Press