India-China: A violent face-off between Indian and Chinese soldiers happened at Galwan on Monday
The government today said "attempts are being made to give a mischievous interpretation" to comments made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi after an all-party meeting yesterday on the violent face-off between Indian and Chinese soldiers earlier this week.
"As regards transgression of LAC (Line of Actual Control), it was clearly stated that the violence in Galwan on 15 June arose because Chinese side was seeking to erect structures just across the LAC and refused to desist from such actions," the government said in a statement today.
The centre's postscript on the comments by PM Modi came amid attacks by the opposition that the government hasn't fully explained the situation along the LAC that eventually led to the violent face-off, leading to 20 soldiers laying down their lives for India.
"At the outset, Prime Minister clarified that neither is anyone inside our territory nor is any of our post captured…" the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement after the all-party meeting yesterday.
In today's statement, the government said the "Prime Minister's observations that there was no Chinese presence on our side of the LAC pertained to the situation as a consequence of the bravery of our armed forces".
"The sacrifices of the soldiers of the 16 Bihar Regiment foiled the attempt of the Chinese side to erect structures and also cleared the attempted transgression at this point of the LAC on that day," the government said.