Arvind Kejriwal Says "No Lockdown Plans" In Delhi Amid Speculation

4 months ago 32
google news

 Arvind Kejriwal Says 'No Lockdown Plans' In Delhi Amid Speculation

Arvind Kejriwal put out the clarification shortly after an all-party meeting called by Amit Shah.(FILE)

New Delhi:

There are "no plans" for another lockdown in Delhi, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted today, rejecting speculation alongside a spurt in coronavirus cases in the capital. Mr Kejriwal put out the clarification shortly after an all-party meeting called by Home Minister Amit Shah to discuss the virus strategy for Delhi and its neighbouring areas.

"Many people are speculating whether another lockdown in Delhi in being planned. There are no such plans," Arvind Kejriwal tweeted.

Delhi has more than 41,000 COVID-19 cases and is the third worst hit in the country. There have been over 1,300 deaths in the city.

Shops, market complexes and offices reopened in Delhi on June 8 and public movement was allowed with restrictions as part of the nationwide plan for phased exit from the lockdown since late March to slow the spread of the virus.

However, following a spike in virus cases in Delhi, along with complaints about a severe shortage of hospital beds, there were calls on social media last week to "relock Delhi". There was also speculation in a section of the media that Delhi would go back into strict lockdown soon.

Yesterday, Amit Shah said testing would be tripled and railway coaches would be set aside to cover the shortfall of hospital beds.

  1. Homepage
  2. India