85% of migrants had to pay for journey home: Survey

4 months ago 58
google news

The SWAN report also included a survey of 5,911 migrant workers who reached out through 821 distress calls bet...Read More

MUMBAI: More than 85% of migrants surveyed by a volunteer group, Stranded Workers Action Network (SWAN), said they had to pay for their journey home during the Covid-19 lockdown.
The survey report says that the Supreme Court interim order on May 28 asking state governments to bear the transport costs came too late since their movement had been cleared at the beginning of the month.
The automated phone survey of 1,963 migrants found that 33% had managed to leave for their home states while 67% still stayed behind. Of those who had left, more than 85% had to pay for their journey home.
The report titled “To Leave or Not to Leave: Lockdown, Migrant Workers and their Journeys Home’ was released on Friday. The survey was conducted in the last week of May and first week of June.
Of those who managed to leave, 62% of them had paid more than Rs 1,500 for the journey, said the report.
The report said that lack of jobs was one of the key triggers for the migrant workers leaving. The desire to return home was not driven by sentiment alone and the report said that 75% of those who were still stuck in the cities they worked in faced lack of employment.
“We found it was not just fear of the disease and the desire to be with family that pushed migrants to return to their home states,” Anindita Adhikari, researcher at SWAN, said. “It was also the lack of jobs, income and food in the cities they work in.”
The survey said 44% of those who left took buses to reach their home states and 39% managed to get a Shramik Special train. Around 11% took trucks, lorries and other similar modes of transport, while 6% made the journey on foot. Of those who are still stuck in the cities, 55% want to go home immediately, said the report.
The SWAN report also included a survey of 5,911 migrant workers who reached out through 821 distress calls between May 15 and June 1. It found that 80% of those surveyed had no access to government rations and food distress remained high.
Around 63% of the callers had less than Rs 100 left with them. Around 57 % had made SOS calls saying they had no money or rations left or had skipped the previous meal.

  1. Homepage
  2. India